§ Mr. D. E. Thomas
asked the Secretary of State for Defence (1) whether WINTEX '85 is a NATO exercise;
(2) whether WINTEX '85 will have a nuclear phase;
(3) whether WINTEX '85 will have a chemical phase;
(4) what is the purpose of the WINTEX '85 exercise;
(5) whether WINTEX '85 will involve the exercise of the National Command authority in the United Kingdom;
(6) what will be the date and duration of the WINTEX '85 exercise;
(7) whether any novel features will be included in the WINTEX '85 exercise;
(8) whether WINTEX '85 will involve local authorities in civil defence planning at (a) county level and (b) district level;
(9) whether WINTEX '85 will simulate the closure of essential service routes to the general public;
(10) whether WINTEX '85 will simulate the internment of subversives;
(11) whether WINTEX '85 will involve the simulated use of nuclear weapons.
§ Mr. Stanley
Exercise WINTEX-CIMEX 85 is the eighth of a series of NATO-wide command post exercises conducted by Alliance members. It will take place from 26 February to 13 March 1985. Its objective will be to test military command and control procedures and to exercise Alliance authorities in procedures intended for use in times of international tension and war. To ensure that procedures across the whole spectrum of a crisis are practised a nuclear consultation phase is always included. In the United Kingdom, Government Departments will be participating, but not local authorities. Details of the scenario for the exercise and the play itself are classified,598W but are based upon NATO's deterrence strategy. As in previous exercises, the full spectrum of NATO's procedures and plans for crisis management will be tested.