§ Mr. John Patten
The following is a list of functions of the Northern Ireland Office and the Northern Ireland Departments which have been contracted out or privatised since May 1979:
- Loans to farmers and fishermen.
- Tuberculosis testing (90℅).
- Certification of animals for export (with some exceptions).
- Minor watercourse maintenance (80℅).
- Some timber harvesting.
- Urban main drainage.
- 34 advance factories (sold to private industry).
- Finance for house purchases (Building society funds have replaced Housing Executive loans).
- Sale of publicly owned houses (substantial progress).
- Some joint public-private sector involvement in house building.
- Sale of publicly owned shopping centre to the private sector.
- Public shareholding (50℅) in Northern Ireland Carriers sold to private sector.
- All major road works and some minor works and maintenance.
- Most Health Service building design.
- Custodial services at Enterprise Ulster.
- Catering and most building and maintenance services for the police authority.
- Some cleaning services throughout the Civil Service.
- Further proposals are under consideration.