HC Deb 09 February 1981 vol 998 c281W
Mr. Cryer

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will introduce legislation to allow people of an area to choose a traditional title such as the West Riding of Yorkshire to replace names allotted under the Local Government Act 1972.

Mr. King

No. Adequate powers enabling local authorities to change their names already exist in sections 74 to 77 of the Local Government Act 1972.