HC Deb 12 March 1980 vol 980 c614W
Mr. Dobson

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will seek to make special arrangements for his Department to ensure that tenants whose homes are to be decontrolled by the Housing Bill are properly informed of their centers to rent allowances and rate rebates.

Mr. Geoffrey Finsberg

The only means of increasing the rent for a currently controlled tenancy after commencement of clause 62 of the Bill will be by application to the rent officer. As explained in a separate answer to the hon. Member today, tenants are told of rent allowances and rate rebates when fair rents are registered. We shall in addition stress the availability of rent allowances in publicity material relating to Clause 62. Controlled tenants are already liable to pay rates and the Bill will not affect their position in this respect.