§ Mr. Meacher
asked the Minister for the Civil Service if he will list the current members of the executive of the Advisory Council for Applied Research and Development, and indicate their occupation and background, which other public and private sector posts they hold, and what remuneration they receive.
§ Mr. Channon
Members of the Advisory Council for Applied Research and Development are unpaid. No comprehensive record is held centrally of their public and private sector board posts. The occupation and background of the current membership, together with such information about their public appointments as is held by my Department, is listed below:
Sir John Atwell, CBE
- Chairman of Scottish Offshore Partnership. Former Director of the Weir Group Ltd. and Chairman of the Engineering Division.
- Member of the Royal Ordnance Factories Board.
- Member British Railways Advisory Board (Scottish Region).
Sir Henry Chilver
- Vice-Chancellor Cranfield Institute of Technology.
- Former Professor of Civil Engineering. University College, London.
- Member of Planning and Transport Research Advisory Council.
- Member Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution.
- Member Commission on Energy and the Environment.
- Chairman, Review Group on Higher Education in Northern Ireland.
Mr. R. J. Clayton, CBE
- Technical Director, GEC Ltd. which he joined in 1937.
- Chairman, Computer Systems and Electronics Requirements Board.
- Member, Transport & Road Research Laboratory Advisory Committee.
Mr. D. Downs, CBE
- Chairman and Managing Director, Ricardo & Co. Engineers (1927) Ltd. which he joined in 1942.
Dr. A. J. Kennedy
- Director of Research Delta Metal Co.
- Formerly Director of British Non-Ferrous Metals Technology Centre.
- Member, SRC Engineering Board.
Mr. J. Lyons
- General Secretary Electrical Power Engineers' Association and Engineers' & Managers' Association.
- Formerly Deputy General Secretary Institution of Professional Civil Servants.
- Member, National Enterprise Board.
Sir leuan Maddock, FRS
- Secretary British Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Director and Chairman Fulmer Research Institute.
- Principal designate St. Edmund Hall, Oxford.
- Formerly Chief Scientist Department of Industry.
Sir Peter Matthews
- Managing Director Vickers Ltd.
- Former Member Board of British Steel Corporation.
- Member National Research Development Corporation.
Sir James Menter, FRS
- Principal Queen Mary College, London University.
- Formerly Director of Research and Development Tube Investments Ltd.
- Member of the Inquiry into the Engineering Profession.
Mr. M. M. Pennell, CBE
- Deputy Chairman and Managing Director BP Co. Ltd. which company he joined in 1946.
- Member of the Offshore Energy Technology Board.
Dr. L. Rotherham, CBE FRS
- Chairman Defence Scientific Advisory Council.
- Formerly Vice-Chancellor Bath University and Head of Research, Electricity Supply Industry and Electricity Council.
- Member Advisory Council on Energy Conservation.
Sir Norman Rowntree
- Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology.
- Former Consulting Engineer and Member and Director of the Water Resources Board.
Dr A. Spinks CBE
- Formerly Research Director ICI Ltd.
- Member of the Governing Body of Imperial College of Science and Technology.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Research Councils.
Mr. G. H. Wright MBE
- Regional Secretary for Wales, Transport and General Workers Union.
- Part-time General Secretary Wales TUC.
- Member Celtic Seas Advisory Committee.
- Member South Wales Electricity Board.
- Member Welsh Council.
- Member Manpower Services Committee for Wales.