HC Deb 01 March 1978 vol 945 cc241-2W
Mr. Patrick Jenkin

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will describe the special checks made on foreign nationals who are admitted temporarily to the United Kingdom to take or look for work to safeguard against their becoming a burden on public funds.

Mr. Merlyn Rees

Foreign nationals other than EEC nationals are not admitted to the United Kingdom to look for work. Those coming to take work are normally required to have had a work permit issued in advance by the Department of Employment for a specific job.

EEC nationals are entitled to come here to look for and take work but may be refused entry if they have no intention of doing either and are likely to become a charge on public funds.

There is a standing arrangement whereby the Department of Health and Social Security reports to us cases of foreign nationals who draw supplementary benefit.