§ Mr. Horam:
Badges are issued by local authorities. The entitlement criteria are set out in the Disabled Persons (Badges 125W for Motor Vehicles) Regulation 1975 as follows:5. A disabled person shall be eligible to apply for the issue to him of a disabled person's badge for one or more motor vehicles, if he is a person who—
- (a) by reason of his disability, uses a motor vehicle suppiled to him by the Department of Health and Social Security, the Scottish Home and Health Department or the Welsh Office, or is in receipt of a grant under section 33(3) of the Health Services and Public Health Act 1968(a) from such a Department ; or
- (b) by reason of disability uses a motor vehicle which is exempted or is eligible to be exempted from any duty under the Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971(b) by virtue of section 4(1)(g) or 7(2) thereof ; or
- (c) has amputation or absence of a limb which causes considerable difficulty in walking ; or
- (d) suffers from defects of the spine or of the central nervous system or other motor defect which makes control of the lower limbs difficult ; or
- (e) has some other permanent and substantial disability which causes considerable difficulty in walking: or
- (f) is registered as a blind person under the National Assistance Act 1948(c); or
- (g) is dependent upon the use of a wheelchair outside his home."
There is also provision, in the regulation, for the issue of badges to institutions caring for the disabled.