HC Deb 30 July 1976 vol 916 c438W
Mr. Arthur Lewis

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department in view of the fact that many persons are at present claiming income tax relief on their children now resident in countries outside of Great Britain who were born in accordance with polygamous religious practice, to what extent these children are entitled to claim British passports and entry into the United Kingdom by virtue of their father's having a British passport; and whether he will give the actual or estimated numbers of such children who can claim this right.

Dr. Summerskill

As I stated in reply to a Question by my hon. Friend on 26th July—[Vol. 916, c.9–10]—declarations made to the Inland Revenue for tax purposes confer no entitlement upon anyone to enter or settle in the United Kingdom. The same holds true for the issue of British passports. Children living abroad whose fathers hold British passports do not necessarily have any claim to hold British passports themselves. This depends on their individual circumstances at the time of their application. It is not therefore possible to give numbers in the form requested by my hon. Friend.

Forward to