HC Deb 04 February 1976 vol 904 cc599-600W
Mr. O'Halloran

asked the Secretary of State for Industry if he will make a statement regarding the length of time applicants have to wait for the installation of telephones and recording machines.

Mr. Gregor Mackenzie

The Post Office tells me that 95 per cent. of all applications for telephone service can be met on demand, but that the length of time for the remaining 5 per cent. depends on the particular local factors applying to the case, and it is difficult to give a meaningful figure. A surge in demand has caused delays in the supply of answering machines, but the Post Office says that there should be an improvement in the supply position shortly.

Forward to