HC Deb 18 March 1974 vol 870 c28W
Mr. Bishop

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he is aware of the distress caused to council house tenants, and especially the elderly, when they are given a notice to quit and deliver up their house when a local authority wishes to vary the rent; and if he will consider ways of changing the practice.

Mr. Freeson

Local authorities are not required to give notice to quit when proposing to vary the rent of a tenancy. Authorities were urged in a 1968 circular to give immediate effect to Section 12 of the Prices and Incomes Act 1968, which removed the previous requirement to serve notice to quit in respect of increases; individual authorities have discretion to decide what practice they follow in this matter. My hon. Friend and the public generally should be aware of the Secretary of State's order imposing a standstill on rent increases for publicly-or privately-owned dwellings.