HC Deb 31 July 1974 vol 878 c441W
Mr. Wigley

asked the Secretary of State for Wales if he will introduce a system of compensation payments for farmers who suffer losses and additional costs as a result of public rights of way over their land.

Mr. Rowlands

There are rights of compensation under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949 and the Highways Act 1959 in certain circumstances. Section 28 of the Countryside Act 1968 also authorises a highway authority to contribute towards the expenses reasonably incurred in the maintenance of structures such as stiles and gates. I have no plans to go beyond these existing arrangements.