HC Deb 16 July 1974 vol 877 c71W
48. Mrs. Chalker

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what priority she is giving to securing the provision of refuge houses for battered wives.

Mr. Robert C. Brown

I would refer the hon. Member to my reply to the hon. Member for Birmingham, Edgbaston (Mrs. Knight) on 11th July.

49. Mr. Barry Henderson

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services if she is satisfied with the effectiveness of the social security machinery for the support and care of battered wives and babies; and if she will make a statement.

Mr. Robert C. Brown

Yes. A woman who is separated from her husband and who has insufficient resources for her needs and the needs of dependent children living with her is entitled to claim supplementary benefit. The local office at which she claims will give any immediate financial help necessary and, if she has nowhere to live, the help given will normally be sufficient for her to secure accommodation or lodgings.