HC Deb 18 December 1974 vol 883 cc452-3W
Mr. Hall-Davis

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will list the powers he has to give financial help to tourism and the tourist industry, the hotel and catering industry, organisations providing or supporting outdoor and indoor recreation, listing the relevant Acts; and what bodies are in receipt of grant from his Department which are empowered by their articles or terms of reference to give financial help for these activities.

Mr. William Ross

Government assistance to tourism and the tourist industry in Scotland is given through the Scottish Tourist Board and, within its own area, through the Highlands and Islands Development Board. The Development of Tourism Act 1969 and the Highlands and Islands Development (Scotland) Act 1965 respectively are the relevant Acts. These Acts empower the two boards concerned to carry out or give financial assistance for the carrying out of projects, including hotel and catering projects, which the boards consider would provide or improve tourist amenities and facilities.

The Countryside (Scotland) Act 1967 empowers me to give grants of up to 75 per cent. of capital expenditure incurred by local authorities in the provision of facilities for the purpose of enabling people to enjoy the countryside and to engage in informal countryside recreation. Such grants are made on the recommendation of the Countryside Commission for Scotland. The Act also enables me to defray or contribute towards expenditure for the provision of long-distance routes.

The Countryside Commission for Scotland, which was established under the Act of 1967, is wholly grant-aided; it is empowered to give financial assistance in respect of countryside projects promoted by private individuals and the National Trust for Scotland.

The Physical Training and Recreation Act 1937 empowers me to assist voluntary organisations to provide for physical recreation facilities and to train and supply leaders. Since 1971 no new grants have been made under this Act. Assistance for physical recreation and sport is now given by the Scottish Sports Council which receives an annual Exchequer grant-in-aid.