HL Deb 24 July 1973 vol 344 c1815WA

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What role they play in the working groups of the Council of Ministers; what British representation there is in these groups, and whether it consists entirely of civil servants; and whether such groups are answerable to Parliament and if so, how.


The Member States of the European Community, including the United Kingdom, are represented on Council working groups by members of their Permanent Representations, by home-based officials, or by both. Some working groups are in effect standing Committees dealing with general subjects such as transport or the right of establishment; others aread hoc groups to study specific Commission proposals or specific problems. Departmental Ministers are answerable in the usual way to Parliament for the actions of their officials.