HC Deb 07 February 1973 vol 850 cc111-2W
Mr. Sydney Chapman

asked the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list in the OFFICIAL REPORT the grants which can be paid to local authorities, organisations and individuals to plant or replant trees; and in what circumstances.

Mr. Graham Page

Grants can be paid under the Countryside Act 1968 to any local authority or private body or person in respect of expenditure incurred on tree planting which preserves or enhances natural beauty in the countryside. Assistance may also be available for tree planting as part of conservation schemes in outstanding conservation areas, on the recommendation of the relevant Historic Buildings Council, and where the landscaping is incidental to a new development which is eligible for financial assistance.

In addition grant may be paid to local authorities towards the cost of planting trees as part of a scheme for the reclamation of derelict land or removal of eyesores and in certain other cases listed in circular No. 99/72, copies of which have been placed in the Library.

Organisations and individuals may also claim grant from the Forestry Commission—where applications were made prior to the suspension of the commission's grant schemes on 28th June 1972—and the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in respect of tree planting for forestry. agricultural or horticultural purposes in certain circumstances.