HC Deb 25 October 1972 vol 843 cc321-2W
Mr. Kilfedder

asked the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland whether he will consider making arrangements, during the period that the Stormont Parliament is suspended, for hon. Members representing Northern Ireland constituencies to remit cases direct to the Northern Ireland Commissioner of Complaints, in addition to Members of the Stormont Parliament, some of whom have resigned and cannot be replaced under the Northern Ireland (Temporary Provisions) Act, 1972.

Mr. David Howell

Under the Commissioner for Complaints Act (Northern Ireland), 1969, an aggrieved person may make his complaint direct to the Commissioner.

A complaint may be referred to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration by any Member of the Stormont Parliament, not merely by the Member for the constituency in which the aggrieved person resides. Only three of the 52 Members have resigned so it is not considered necessary to introduce legislation to alter the present arrangements.