HC Deb 16 November 1971 vol 826 c88W
Mr. Haselhurst

asked the Secretary of State for Social Services what sums have been allocated by the Government for psychiatric research; which establishments are involved; and whether he will make a statement.

Mrs. Thatcher

I have been asked to reply.

The main Government agency for the support of psychiatric research is the Medical Research Council. The council does not allocate a specific sum for this purpose but supports a wide programme of research on mental disorders, including psychiatric and associated psychological studies and basic studies in neurobiology, at an expenditure of some £1,627,400 in 1970–71.

Details of this work, including both grant-aided projects in university departments and studies at the council's own establishments, are published in the M.R.C. Annual Report and Handbook.

Other substantial provision in this field from Government sources is made by the Health Departments and hospital boards and through the University Grants Committee's funds in universities and medical schools.

Forward to