HC Deb 06 May 1970 vol 801 c147W
Mr. Eldon Griffiths

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether police officers injured while engaged in keeping order at cricket matches between English and South African teams are eligible to apply for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, notwithstanding that they are privately engaged while assisting at such functions.

Mr. Elystan Morgan:

A police officer who while so engaged sustains an injury directly attributable to a crime of violence or to an endeavour to arrest an offender or prevent an offence is eligible to apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board for compensation. It is for the board to decide whether compensation is payable under their scheme in any individual case.