§ Mr. William Edwards
asked the Minister of Transport what steps have been taken by his Department to carry out Government policy on the Welsh language under the Welsh Language Act.
§ Mr. Murray
The Department has taken the following steps:
- (i) As announced on 28th November, 1969, we hope to introduce bilingual motor vehicle licence discs throughout Wales in April 1970.
- (ii) The question of bilingual driving licences and test certificates for private cars is now under consideration and my right hon. Friend hopes to make an announcement about this shortly.
- (iii) A Welsh translation of the Highway Code is produced whenever a revised code is issued.
- (iv) A booklet called "Guide to Operators' Licensing" has been translated into Welsh and copies will be available on request from the Department.
- (v) We are publishing an official guide to the new drivers' hours requirements for Goods Vehicle and Passenger Vehicle drivers and my Department has in mind that a Welsh version may be desirable.
- (vi) The Department is considering in conjunction with the Welsh Office the feasibility of translating into Welsh the appropriate forms used when applying for an annual test of a goods vehicle.
- (vii) The Railways Board has been asked by my Department to include advertisements of closure notices in two Welsh language newspapers.
- (viii) Welsh versions of two forms, an application to renew a Motor Vehicle licence and an application for a licence to drive a Motor Vehicle, are already in use.—[Vol. 792, c. 176.]