HC Deb 29 April 1969 vol 782 c194W
46. Mr. Christopher Price

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government if he will now introduce legislation to make it possible for controlled rent tenants of fit houses displaced for motorway purposes to receive compensation for the loss of their controlled tenancy.

Mr. K. Robinson

A controlled tenant with a contractual tenancy who is displaced in these circumstances would be entitled to compensation reflecting the value of his unexpired contractual interest. A statutory controlled tenant would not be entitled to compensation because he had no interest at law in the property. My right hon. Friend has no proposals for altering this situation. Rent Act protected tenants displaced for highway purposes can expect to be rehoused by the local housing authority.

Back to