HC Deb 03 April 1968 vol 762 c95W
Mr. Gwynfor Evans

asked the President of the Board of Trade whether he will give an undertaking that he will not allow the British European Airways to make a takeover of the Cambrian Airways, so that Cambrian Airways will remain essentially a Welsh airline.

Mr. J. P. W. Mallalieu

Last November Cambrian Airways became a wholly-owned subsidiary of British Air Services, which itself is owned as to 70 per cent. by B.E.A. and as to the remaining 30 per cent. by private shareholders. The greater part of this private shareholding is held by former shareholders in Cambrian Airways, thus preserving the Welsh connection. These arrangements give Cambrian Airways readier access to the benefits of B.E.A.'s resources and expertise while retaining the airlines' essential link with Wales. I was aware of these changes and saw no reason to object to them.