§ Mr. Spriggs
asked the Secretary of State for Education and Science whether he will announce the names of the members to be appointed to the Science Research Council.
§ Mr. Crosland
Yes. In response to my invitation the following have agreed to serve on the Science Research Coun-326W cil which will be constituted after the enactment of the Science and Technology Bill which is now before Parliament. Sir Harry Melville's acceptance of the Chairmanship was announced by my predecessor in December.
- Sir Harry Melville, K.C.B., F.R.S., Chairman Secretary to the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research since 1956.
- Lord Halsbury.
- Dr. A. Caress, Director of Research, I.C.I.
- Dr. D. G. Christopherson, O.B.E., F.R.S., Vice-Chancellor and Warden of Durham University.
- Dr. S. C. Curran, F.R.S., F.R.S.E., Vice-Chancellor, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- Professor G. C. Drew, Professor of Psychology, University College, London.
- Professor M. R. Gavin, M.B.E., Professor of Electronic Engineering, University College of North Wales, Bangor.
- Professor Sir Ewart Jones, F.R.S., Waynflete Professor of Chemistry, University of Oxford.
- Professor Sir Bernard Lovell, O.B.E., F.R.S., Professor of Radio Astronomy, University of Manchester, Director of Jodrell Bank Experimental Station.
- Professor K. Mather, C.B.E., F.R.S., Professor of Genetics, University of Birmingham, Vice-Chancellor elect, University of Southampton.
- Professor C. F. Powell, F.R.S., Henry Overton Wills Professor of Physics, University of Bristol.
- Professor J. E. Smith, F.R.S., Professor of Zoology, Queen Mary College, University of London, Director elect, Marine Laboratory, Plymouth.