HC Deb 07 May 1964 vol 694 c187W
Mr. Lubbock

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government and Minister for Welsh Affairs what grants are available to county councils to cover the cost of clearing ex-War Department sites for return to agricultural use; and to what extent the rate of grant varies between councils.

Mr. Corfield

County councils which take enforcement action requiring the removal of Government war works and the restoration of the land may claim assistance towards the cost under Section 52 of the Requisitioned Land and War Works Act, 1945. My right hon. Friend deals with claims for the cost of removal of buildings on amenity grounds and my right hon. Friend the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food with claims for the cost of restoration to agricultural use. Claims are only entertained if removal or restoration is essential in the national interest and account has to be taken of any compensation previously paid for damage to the land. Thus the amount of any assistance depends on the facts of the case.

County councils which undertake the clearance of derelict, neglected or unsightly land in a National Park or area of outstanding natural beauty are eligible for a grant of 75 per cent. of the cost of approved schemes.

Forward to