HC Deb 22 April 1964 vol 693 cc170-1W
Sir Richard Glyn

asked the Secretary of State for Defence whether members of the Territorial Army or of the Army Emergency Reserve who are registered as civilian voters may vote by post as absent voters if an election takes place during the period of their annual camp; and what is the position in this regard of a member of the Territorial Army Emergency Reserve who has been called up in an emergency.

Mr. Ramsden

Yes. Under the Representation of the People Act 1949, all members of Her Majesty's Reserve or Auxiliary Forces may vote by post as absent voters during full-time service at annual camp or otherwise. Any member of the Territorial Army Emergency Reserve who might have been called up and was serving overseas would be able to vote by proxy if he had made the necessary arrangements.

We have explained the position in a pamphlet published in May, 1963, entitled "Elections, Registration and Voting Procedures (Members of the Forces and their Wives)". As a normal step before any election or by-election we issue an instruction drawing attention to the relevant paragraphs of this pamphlet.

Form RPF 9 for a postal vote and Form RPF 10A for a proxy vote may be obtained from their Electoral Registration Officer, who must receive the completed form by the twelfth day before the election (excluding Sundays and public holidays).