§ 44. Mr. Willey
asked the Minister of Education which school building projects, submitted for the school building programme of 1963–64 by the Sunderland local education authority, he has not approved.
§ Sir D. Eccles
The authority put forward a list of fourteen projects for 1963–64 and 1964–65 programmes together. The programme for 1964–65 has not yet been considered. For 1963–64 I have so far approved one project and a second will be included as soon as its details are settled. These, with earlier programmes, are sufficient to meet the 65W need of the authority for "roofs over heads" and reorganization. Following is complete list of the projects submitted:
- 1. Town End County Infant (approved for 1963–64).
- 2. Secondary Technical School for Girls to replace the present West Park Girls School (a similar project is under discussion with the Authority with a view to its inclusion).
- 3. Pennywell Secondary School, second phase.
- 4. Thornhill Secondary School, second phase.
- 5. Monkwearmouth Comprehensive School, second phase.
- 6. West Area R.C. Secondary Girls School.
- 7. West Area R.C. Secondary Boys School.
- 8. Commercial Road Secondary Schools, Extensions to Boys and Girls School to bring each school up to four form-entry.
- 9. Hylton Castle Infant School.
- 10. Hylton Road Junior School.
- 11. Hylton Road Infant School.
- 12. Central Area Infant School.
- 13. Central Area Junior School.
- 14. Monkwearmouth Junior School in place of Thomas Street School.