HC Deb 03 April 1962 vol 657 cc26-7W
48. Mr. Elwyn Jones

asked the Minister of Housing and Local Government and Minister for Welsh Affairs whether he will take steps to enable local authorities to purchase vacant houses for renting to homeless tenants; and whether he will introduce legislation to enable Government subsidies to be granted for such purchases.

Dr. Hill

Local authorities already have adequate powers to buy vacant houses. As to the second part of the Question, the answer is "No."