§ Mr. Body
asked the President of the Board of Trade (1) whether the United Kingdom has yet given, or proposes to give, notice in writing to Denmark in accordance with Article XVI of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade in respect of any exports in the current year;
(2) what complaints he has received in the current year from any country that was a party to the General Agreement 73W on Tariffs and Trade that the United Kingdom has not complied with any Article of that Agreement;
(3) on what date, or dates, and to which country, or countries, any notice in writing under Article XVI of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade has been sent or handed over since 15th October, 1956;
(4) whether he has yet been requested to discuss with any contracting party the possibility of limiting the subsidisation of any exports by the United Kingdom in accordance with Article XVI of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade;
(5) what action has been taken in accordance with any Article, other than Article XVI, of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade in respect of the export of any agricultural produce to Denmark;
(6) whether he will publish those parts of any notice in writing that has been sent by the United Kingdom to any other country in accordance with Article XVI of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade which set out the extent and nature of the subsidisation, the estimated effect of the subsidisation on the quantity of the affected products exported, and the circumstances making the subsidisation necessary.
§ Sir D. Eccles
Her Majesty's Government regularly notify all Contracting Parties in accordance with Article XVI of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade of any subsidies which operate to increase exports from the United Kingdom or to reduce imports. The last notification was sent in August, 1956, and this year's notification will be sent shortly. I do not consider that these notifications have sufficient public interest to warrant publication, but I am arranging for copies to be sent to my hon. Friend.
While it has not been suggested that Her Majesty's Government have been in default of any of their obligations under the General Agreement, the Danish Government requested discussions under Article XVI in regard to the export of eggs from this country. These discussions have been held and, as has already been announced, Her Majesty's Government have agreed to take steps to safeguard Denmark's legitimate trade interests in 74W this matter. The Netherlands has associated itself with the Danish Government's approach under Article XVI.
It is not considered that any other action is called for by reason of any other Article of the General Agreement.