HC Deb 11 November 1954 vol 532 cc155-6W
Mr. Marquand

asked the Minister of Health under what regulation or other authority local authorities in England and Wales are empowered to provide chiropody services or to make grants to voluntary organisations for doing so.

Mr. Iain Macleod

Local authorities could, with my approval, provide a chiropody service, or contribute to a voluntary organisation for this purpose, as part of their arrangements for the prevention of illness, care and after-care, under Section 28 of the National Health Service Act, 1946, but in present financial circumstances I am unable to approve any extended direct provision of this service. They can at their discretion make arrangements for chiropody at homes provided under Part III of the National Assistance Act, 1948, for persons in need of care and attention not otherwise available to them, by virtue of the definition of accommodation in Section 21 (5) of the Act as including, so far as may be necessary, other services, amenities and requisites.

Mr. Marquand

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland which local authorities in Scotland provide chiropody services; and whether Government grant is paid in respect of such services.

Mr. J. Stuart

A chiropody service for elderly people, who are recommended for it by medical practitioners, is being provided by the county councils of Ayr, Berwick and Lanark, and the town councils of Aberdeen, Coatbridge, Kirkcaldy and Rutherglen. In addition, the county councils of Fife, Kirkcudbright, Midlothian, Perth and Kinross, Ross and Cromarty, and Wigtown, and the town council of Kilmarnock, make contributions to voluntary organisations which include among their objects the provision of chiropody services for elderly persons. The expenditure so incurred attracts 50 per cent. Exchequer grant under the National Health Service (Scotland) Act, 1947.