HC Deb 24 July 1953 vol 518 cc74-5W
Mr. R. Allan

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will initiate legislation to permit local authorities to prosecute individuals defacing walls in their area.

Sir D. Maxwell Fyfe

This matter can be dealt with by good rule byelaws which county councils and borough councils have power to make under Section 249 of the Local Government Act, 1933. In the Metropolitan Police District the matter may be dealt with under Section 54 (10) of the Metropolitan Police Act 1839.