HC Deb 07 December 1953 vol 521 cc195-6W
Major Hicks Beach

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether he will consider amending the Income Tax Act so as to enable a man with an invalid wife to claim Income Tax relief in respect of a housekeeper, whether or not there are children in the home.

Mr. Boyd-Carpenter

I have noted my hon. and gallant Friend's suggestion, but I think that we should await the Report of the Royal Commission on the Taxation of Profits and Income before considering any change in the conditions on which the housekeeper allowance can be claimed.