HC Deb 21 November 1947 vol 444 cc228-9W
Mr. Sharp

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department what procedure should be adopted by the British mothers of illegitimate children of American Service men in order to secure financial assistance; whether any such assistance has yet been obtained as a result of representations made through his Department; and what information and documentary evidence is required to initiate action and to what address the application should be made.

Mr. Ede

My right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in his reply to a Question by the hon. Member for West Leyton (Mr. Sorensen) on 12th November indicated the scope of the arrangements which it has been possible to make. In a number of cases allowances have been authorised by the United States Service Departments or Veterans' Administration under existing United States statutes; in a few others the putative father has undertaken payments as a result of representations made through His Majesty's Consuls. Any mother desiring assistance should write to my Department, or if she resides in Scotland to the Scottish Home Department, St. Andrew's House, Edinburgh, giving the facts relating to her claim, the date and place of birth of the child, the dates during which the putative father was stationed in this country, and his last known address in the United States.