HC Deb 13 February 1947 vol 433 cc99-100W
Mr. Sharp

asked the Minister of Supply what progress is being made in the disposal of surplus machinery, vehicles, stores and equipment; whether disposals now exceed receipts; and the approximate proportion of disposals for immediate civilian use and for scrap purposes, respectively.

Mr. Wilmot

Disposals in the United Kingdom have realised an average of £15,500,00o a month over the last six months. This is roughly equal to the rate at which surpluses are being declared. Approximately 85 per cent. of disposals can be put to further use; the remaining 15 per cent. are sold for scrap. These figures are exclusive of warlike stores un suitable for civilian purposes, which are broken down for the recovery of components, metals, etc. Items urgently needed for civilian use have been given special attention. Disposals overseas have recently realised an average of £10,000,000 a month. In some territories disposal is almost completed and good progress is now being made in all areas.