HC Deb 13 May 1946 vol 422 cc161-2W
Mr. Mitchison

asked the Minister of Fuel and Power in what circumstances additional petrol allowances are refused to soldiers coming on leave from the B.A.O.R.; and what are the reasons for such refusal.

Mr. Shinwell:

The petrol allowance for members of H.M. Forces on leave in this country from service overseas provides for 600 miles of motoring in any 12 months, but with a limit of 300 miles for any one leave period, except that in the case of personnel on leave longer than 28 days after service overseas the limit of 300 miles for any one leave period may be increased by 75 miles for each period of seven days in excess of 28 days, up to the maximum of 600 miles. The ration is available for use only in a car owned by the applicant or his wife or her husband as the case may be, or by one of their parents. If my hon. Friend knows of any case where these qualifications apply and an allowance has been refused; I shall be glad to investigate the matter.