HC Deb 01 October 1942 vol 383 c937W
Sir E. Cadogan

asked the Minister of Agriculture whether, when an order has been issued by a war agricultural committee to plough up a public or a private recreation ground, any undertaking is given that the cost of reconverting it for its former use will be borne by public money?

Mr. Hudson

Yes, Sir. The owner of any grassland ploughed up by direction of a war agricultural executive committee will be entitled to claim compensation after the war if the annual value of the land is at that date diminished as a result of the ploughing up. This compensation will be based either on the cost of restoring the land to its former condition, or, alternatively, a sum calculated with reference to the diminution in the annual value of the land caused by the ploughing up. I am sending my hon. and gallant Friend an explanatory memorandum.