HC Deb 22 July 1941 vol 373 c803W
Mr. Muff

asked the President of the Board of Trade what steps are being taken to pay compensation to owners of motorcars destroyed by enemy action when such motor-cars have been used in the calling or profession of their owners and who must replace same?

Sir A. Duncan

A motor-car used wholly or mainly in the calling or profession of the owner may be insured under the business scheme, or, if the owner is an employee, under the private chattels scheme. Provision is made by the War Damage Act for early payment where the Board of Trade are satisfied that replacement or repair of the car is expedient in the public interest or, in the case of a car insured under the private chattels scheme, that the payment is expedient to avoid undue hardship. Applications for early payment under the business scheme should be made to the Board of Trade on forms obtainable from the insurance agent through whom the insurance was effected and, under the private chattels scheme, to the Board of Customs and Excise on Form W.D.A.I which is obtainable from the nearest office of Customs and Excise.