HC Deb 17 July 1941 vol 373 cc755-6W
Mr. Kirkwood

asked the Minister of Health whether he is aware that some tenants of houses badly damaged last year by blast are still being harshly treated by landlords, who refuse to do repairs even when they are drawing money for the purpose; and will he confer with the local authorities with a view to securing that money paid for repairs is spent on that object, or that the local authority will undertake all repairs Under their supervision?

Mr. E. Brown

The answer to the first part of the Question is "No," but I shall be glad to look into any cases which my hon. Friend cares to bring to my notice. In reply to the second part I would point out that where the owners are unwilling or unable to do the repairs themselves, local authorities have full powers to do the necessary work under the Housing (Emergency Powers) Act, 1939.