HC Deb 05 March 1940 vol 358 cc234-5W
Mr. W. H. Green

asked the Secretary of State for War from what persons are references accepted as to the moral and professional integrity of applicants for registration in the Army Officers Emergency Reserve?

Mr. Stanley

References are accepted from senior officers in the fighting or civil Services (either serving in or retired and living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland), Members of either House of Parliament, members of county, city, borough or district councils (or their equivalents in Scotland), holders of judicial office, magistrates, practising barristers and solicitors, directors, secretaries, and departmental managers of public companies, ministers of parishes or other local clergymen and registered medical practitioners.