§ Mr. N. BUXTON
The principal items of State expenditure in relation to agriculture in England and Wales in the 12 months ended 31st March, 1930, were as under:
Service. Approximate Expenditure. £ Collection of agricultural statistics 36,000 Agricultural education 269,000 Agricultural research 299,700 Eradication of diseases in animals 184,200 (a) Livestock improvement 48,600 Land settlement 1,793,000 (b) Allotments 20,500 (c) Land drainage and water supply 87,700 Agricultural wages regulation 38,300 Agricultural credits and co-operation 430,000 (d) Improvement of marketing 62,500 Rural industries development 12,600 Beet sugar subsidy 4,221,500 Relief of agricultural rates 8,734,800 Total £16,238,400 (e)
Except as regards "Agricultural wages regulation" and "Improvement of marketing," the above figures exclude expenses of administration (i.e. salaries, travelling, rent, rates, stationery and printing, superannuation, postages, etc.).
- (a) Includes Scotland, separate figures for which are not available.
- (b) Including £23,000 advanced by way of loans.
- (c) Advances by way of loans.
- (d) Includes £357,500 advanced to the Guarantee Fund of the Agricultural Mortgage Corporation, Limited, under the Agricultural Credits Act, 1928.
- (e) Excludes the cost of rebates of rail carriage on certain agricultural selected traffics, vide White Paper (Cmd. 3215) and Part II of the Eleventh Schedule to the Local Government Act, 1929. Separate figures under this head are not available.