HC Deb 16 August 1916 vol 85 c1883W

asked the Home Secretary whether the owner of a motor car which he habitually uses for commercial purposes may employ that car to convey Volunteers to and from drill without having it licensed?


The statutory exemption from licence duty in favour of motor cars used for commercial purposes applies only to cars which are constructed or adapted for use, and are used solely as trade vehicles, and are properly inscribed. If such a trade vehicle were used for the purpose referred to in the latter part of the question, the legal exemption would cease to be applicable; but the question whether, in any particular case, a licence would be insisted upon in respect of such a vehicle lent upon some special or exceptional occasion to carry passengers gratuitously would be, as regards England and Wales and Ireland, a matter for the proper county council, and, as regards Scotland for the Commissioners of Customs and Excise.


asked the Secretary to the Treasury whether the owner of a motor car, habitually used by him for commercial purposes and in connection with which he receives the rebate of 3d. upon the gallon of petrol consumed, may also receive the rebate when using the car to convey Volunteers to and from drill?


There is no statutory provision for the grant of rebate on motor spirit used in a trade vehicle for the conveyance of Volunteers.

Forward to