§ 6A.—(1) Sub-paragraph (2) below applies in relation to any relevant donation received by a candidate after the deadline for appointing an election agent (unless the candidate is, or is deemed to be, his own election agent at the time of receipt of the donation).
§ (2) The candidate shall, on receipt of any such donation as is mentioned in sub-paragraph (1) above, forthwith deliver to his election agent—
- (a) the donation,
- (b) where paragraph 5(4) or (5) above applies in relation to the donation, the information provided to the candidate in pursuance of that provision, and
- (c) any other information which the candidate has about the donation and its donor which might reasonably be expected to assist the election agent in the discharge of any duties imposed on him, in relation to the donation, under this Part or Part III of this Schedule.
§ (3) Where a donation is delivered to an election agent in accordance with sub-paragraph (2) above, the donation shall be treated for the purposes of paragraph 5(1) to (3) above and the provisions applied by paragraph 6 above as if it had been—
- (a) originally received by the election agent, and
- (b) so received by him on the date on which it was received by the candidate.
§ (4) Where a candidate receives a relevant donation before the deadline for appointing an election agent but at a time when an appointment of a person (other than the candidate himself) as election agent is in force he shall either—
- (a) forthwith deliver the donation and the information mentioned in sub-paragraph (2)(b) and (c) above to the agent, or
- (b) (if he fails to do so) deal with the donation in accordance with section 51 of the 2000 Act.
§ (5) Sub-paragraph (3) above shall have effect in relation to any relevant donation delivered to an election agent in accordance with sub-paragraph (4)(a) above as it has effect in relation to a donation delivered to him in accordance with sub-paragraph (2) above.
§ (6) Sub-paragraph (7) below applies where—
- (a) a relevant donation received by a candidate before the deadline for appointing an election agent has been dealt with by the candidate in accordance with section 51 of the 2000 Act either because—
- (i) it was received by him at a time when no appointment of another person as his election agent was in force, or
- (ii) although such an appointment was in force, he was by virtue of sub-paragraph (4)(b) required to deal with the donation; and
- (b) an appointment of a person (other than the candidate himself) as election agent is in force at, or at any time after—
- (i) the deadline for appointing an election agent, or
- (ii) if later, the time when the candidate has dealt with the donation in accordance with section 51 of the 2000 Act.
§ (7) Subject to sub-paragraph (9) below, the candidate shall, as soon as reasonably practicable after the relevant time, deliver to the election agent—
- (a) the donation (if it has been accepted by him), and
- (b) any information which he has about the donation and the donor which might reasonably be expected to assist the election agent in the discharge of any duties imposed on him, in relation to the donation, under Part III of this Schedule.
§ (8) The relevant time for the purposes of sub-paragraph (7) above is—
- (a) the time mentioned in sub-paragraph (6)(b)(i) or (ii) (as the case may be) if the appointment of another person as election agent is in force at that time, or
- (b) otherwise, the time when any such appointment subsequently comes into force.
§ (9) The duty imposed on a candidate by sub-paragraph (7)(a) above does not apply to any relevant donation to the extent to which it has been lawfully used by the candidate for the purpose of paying election expenses.
§ (10) In this paragraph—
- (a) any reference to the deadline for appointing an election agent is a reference to the latest time by which an election agent may in accordance with section 67(1) or (1A) of this Act be named as election agent—
- (i) by the candidate, or
- (ii) in the case of a candidate on a list of candidates submitted by a registered political party to be London members of the London Assembly at an ordinary election, by the party; and
- (b) any reference to any provision of section 51 of the 2000 Act is a reference to that provision as applied by paragraph 6 above.").
§ 7.15 p.m.
Lord Bach moved Amendments Nos. 250C to 250E:
Page 160, line 47, leave out ("or to the treasurer of a registered party").
Page 160, line 49, at end insert ("; and
(c) any reference in subsection (2) to the treasurer of a registered party were, in relation to a relevant donation, a reference to either the candidate or his election agent (or both).").
Page 161, line 5, leave out ("prepared") and insert ("delivered").
§ Schedule 15, as amended, agreed to.
Lord Bach moved Amendment No. 250F:
Before Clause 126, insert the following new clause—
- ELECTION EXPENSES INCURRED OTHERWISE THAN BY CANDIDATE 2,312 words c224
- POWER TO VARY PROVISIONS ABOUT ELECTION EXPENSES 16 words