§ 2A.—(1) For the purposes of this Schedule sponsorship is provided in relation to a candidate if—
- (a) any money or other property is transferred to the candidate or to any person for the benefit of the candidate, and
- (b) the purpose (or one of the purposes) of the transfer is (or must, having regard to all the circumstances, reasonably be assumed to be)—
- (i) to help the candidate with meeting, or to meet, to any extent any defined expenses incurred or to be incurred by or on behalf of the candidate, or
- (ii) to secure that to any extent any such expenses are not so incurred.
§ (2) In sub-paragraph (1) above "defined expenses" means expenses in connection with—
- (a) any conference, meeting or other event organised by or on behalf of the candidate,
- (b) the preparation, production or dissemination of any publication by or on behalf of the candidate, or
- (c) any study or research organised by or on behalf of the candidate.
§ (3) The following do not, however, constitute sponsorship by virtue of sub-paragraph (1) above—
- (a) the making of any payment in respect of—
- (i) any charge for admission to any conference, meeting or other event, or
- (ii) the purchase price of, or any other charge for access to, any publication;
- (b) the making of any payment in respect of the inclusion of an advertisement in any publication where the payment is made at the commercial rate payable for the inclusion of such an advertisement in any such publication.
§ (4) The Secretary of State may by order made on the recommendation of the Commission amend sub-paragraph (2) or (3) above.
§ (5) Any order under sub-paragraph (4) above shall be made by statutory instrument; but no such order shall be made unless a draft of the order has been laid before and approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament.
(6) In this paragraph "publication" means a publication made available in whatever form and by whatever means (whether or not to the public at large or any section of the public).").
Page 158, line 45, after ("above") insert ("(other than money)").
Page 159, line 1, at beginning insert ("the total value in monetary terms of").
Page 159, line 2, at end insert—
("(2A) The value of any donation falling within paragraph 2(1)(aa) above shall be taken to be the value of the money, or (as the case may be) the market value of the property, transferred as mentioned in paragraph 2A(1) above; and accordingly any value in monetary terms of any benefit conferred on the person providing the sponsorship in question shall be disregarded.").
Page 159, leave out lines 5 to 8 and insert—
Page 159, line 9, leave out sub-paragraph (4).
Page 159, line 13, leave out ("or (4)").
§ [Amendments Nos. 249 and 250 not moved.]
Lord Bach moved Amendments Nos. 250A and 250B:
Page 160, line 27, leave out from ("to") to end of line 29 and insert—
Page 160, line 43, at end insert—