§ 23 After Clause 45, insert the following clause:
§ Provision of advice and assistance to international organisations etc., Scotland
§ '. After section 12 of the 1967 Act there shall be inserted—
§ "Provision of advice and assistance to international organisations etc.
§ 12A.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, a police authority may provide advice and assistance—
- (a) to an international organisation or institution, or
- (b) to any other person or body which is engaged outside the United Kingdom in the carrying on of activities similar to any carried on by the authority or the chief constable of a force maintained by it.
§ (2) The power conferred on a police authority by subsection (1) of this section includes a power to make arrangements under which a constable of the force maintained for the area of the authority is engaged for a period of temporary service with a person or body within paragraph (a) or (b) of that subsection.
§ (3) The power conferred by subsection (1) of this section shall not be exercised except with the consent of the Secretary of State or in accordance with a general authorisation given by him.
§ (4) A consent or authorisation under subsection (3) above may be given subject to such conditions as the Secretary of State thinks fit.
§ (5) Nothing in this section authorises a police authority to provide any financial assistance by—
- (a) making a grant or loan,
- (b) giving a guarantee or indemnity, or
- (c) investing by acquiring share or loan capital.
§ (6) A police authority may make charges for advice and assistance provided by it under this section.
My Lords, I beg to move that the House do agree with the Commons in their Amendment No. 23. I spoke to this amendment with Amendment No. 6.
§ Moved, That the House do agree with the Commons in their Amendment No. 23.—(Earl Ferrers.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.