HC Deb 16 September 2004 vol 424 c1768WS
Ann Winterton

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what pension provision is made for Territorial Army personnel who are away from their civilian work for periods of six months or longer.[188801]

Mr. Caplin

The Ministry of Defence has arrangements in place to ensure that reservists who are called-out for active service with the armed forces, including those called out for periods of six months or longer, are not disadvantaged in pension terms. Individuals may have a number of pension options dependent on their personal circumstancesthose individuals who wish to remain in their civilian pension scheme during the it period of called-out service can do so and the MOD will meet the cost of the employer contribution to that scheme; or individuals may opt to have their period of called-out service covered by MOD's Full Time Reserve Service pension arrangements; or they can opt to be contracted-in to the state pension arrangements (State Second Pension).

Those individuals who have previous service that gave them pension rights from the Armed Forces Pension Scheme (AFPS) may alternatively opt for an enhancement to their AFPS pension rights.