HC Deb 26 May 2004 vol 421 cc1689-90W
Mr. Andrew Turner

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills pursuant to his answers of 1 April 2004,Official Report, columns 1549–50W, to the hon. Member for the Isle of Wight, if he will list (a) for each higher education institution and (b) in total (i) the number of students who were UK nationals, (ii) the number of non-EU students and (iii) the number of EU students from countries other than the United Kingdom; if he will list for each total the (A) aggregate fee-income and (B) average fee-income per student; and what the (1) aggregate fee-income foregone and (2) average fee-income per student foregone was (y) at cost to the institution and (z) at cost to the public purse through treating EU students from outside the UK in the same way as students from the UK. [171206]

Alan Johnson

[holding answer 4 May 2004]: It is not possible to calculate what the change in income to higher education institutions would be if EU students ceased to be treated in the same way as UK students for fees and funding purposes. This is because the change in income will depend on the courses that these students are following and institutions' decisions about the fee levels for those courses. Fees for non-EU overseas students are not regulated and institutions determine the amount they charge depending, for example, on the costs of the course offered. The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) provides funding for EU students but not for non-EU overseas students. The amount paid by HEFCE will also depend on the type of course the student is taking. Information for each HE institution showing student numbers and fee income received is published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) in "Students in Higher Education Institutions and Resources of Higher Education Institutions" respectively, copies of which are available from the House Library.

Forward to