HC Deb 24 May 2004 vol 421 c1468W
Tim Loughton

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions if he will meet delegates from West Sussex county council in order to discuss the resettlement of Chagossians in West Sussex. [165573]

Mr. Pond

My right hon. Friend has no plans to do so.

Chagossians arriving in the Great Britain and who are not subject to immigration control, have the same rights as anyone else to seek assistance from the social security system. Generally anyone claiming benefits has to establish a habitual residence in the UK.