§ Mr. Hendrick
To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills how much public funding was spent per pupil in Preston in each of the last seven years. 
§ Mr. Miliband
The information requested is submitted to the Department according to local education authority areas rather than districts within an 1157W area. Preston is a district of Lancashire local education authority. The information for Lancashire LEA is as follows:
Net current expenditure per pupil Pre-Primary
Special 1996–97 n/a n/a 1,800 2,590 15,990 1997–98 n/a n/a 1,820 2,630 17,320 1998–99 n/a n/a 2,000 2,700 17,770 1999–00 7,130 2,110 2,170 2,760 18,490 2000–01 11,030 2,330 2,440 2,910 18,770 2001–02 16,390 2,630 2,800 3,230 20,600 2002–03 — 2,900 — 3,400 —
1. The financial data are taken from Lancashire LEA's Section 52 Outturn Statement submitted to the DfES from 1999–2000 onwards and the ODPM's ROI statement previously. Figures up to and including 1997–98 figures are for Lancashire LEA prior to local government reorganisation. From 1998–99 onwards parts of Lancashire LEA became Blackpool and Blackburn LEAs. Expenditure was not distinguished between pre-primary and primary sectors until the inception of the Section52 outturn statement in 1999–2000. 1999–2000 figures reflect the return of GM schools to local authority maintenance.
2. The outturn 2002–03 tables captured the data in a fundamentally different way to the previous years. Categories were aligned with the Consistent Financial Reporting framework and the spending by LEAs was no longer split by school sector. Consequently the unit costs per pupil in 2002–03 are not strictly comparable with earlier years as they include an apportionment of LEA expenditure based on pupil numbers. 2002–03 data is subject to change by the LEA. Figures are rounded to the nearest 10.
3. Net current expenditure (NCE) includes expenditure within schools and also that incurred centrally by the LEA.
4. The NCE per pupil figures for pre-primary and primary relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in the pre-primary sector and maintained primary schools to the total number of financial year pupils who are educated in the maintained nursery and primary schools sector.
5. The NCE per pupil figures for secondary relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in maintained secondary schools to the total number of financial year pupils who are educated in the maintained secondary schools sector.
6. The NCE per pupil figures for special schools relate the net current expenditure (after recharges) in maintained special schools to the total number of financial year pupils who are educated in the maintained special schools sector.
7. Pupil data are drawn from the Annual Schools Census adjusted to be on a financial year basis.