HC Deb 18 May 2004 vol 421 cc852-3W
John Robertson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how his Department keeps track of asylum seekers who are evicted by local authorities from National Asylum Support Service accommodation following refusal of an application for asylum. [171345]

Mr. Browne

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate (IND) maintains databases containing address and other information for asylum seekers. This is also recorded in the individual Home Office file.

Applicants and their representatives are informed of their obligation to notify the Home Office of any subsequent change of address. This may be done either in person, at a designated Reporting Centre (RC), or by post to the Change of Address Team (CoAT), based in Croydon.

The Immigration Service (IS) has eleven designated reporting centres to assist in managing reporting regimes and, in addition, a person may be required to report to a police station. The reporting network will be further expanded by the development of Accommodation Centres and the establishment of additional RCs.