HC Deb 15 March 2004 vol 419 c74W
David Taylor

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what guidance the Government provide to children and their families seeking assistance from local authority social services departments to address children's behavioural problems in the home. [153295]

Margaret Hodge

Under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, local authorities are expected to provide a range of services that are appropriate to safeguard and provide welfare for children in need in their area.

Once a child, who is or who may be a child in need, has been referred to social services, the responsible local authority is expected to assess the child using the "Framework for the Assessment of Children in Need and Their Families" (2000). Following that assessment, the local authority should then determine what services or support are needed, including those that may be provided by the local authority. For children with behavioural problems, the local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) team may be identified as an appropriate way to assist the child.