HC Deb 10 March 2004 vol 418 c1548W
Mr. David Atkinson

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs if she will provide financial assistance for owners of mobile homes in flood risk areas who are required by their insurance company to raise their homes above flood level; and if she will make a statement. [155866]

Mr. Morley

The Government do not offer financial assistance for homes in flood risk areas. Financial issues relating to maintenance and insurance of the property are the responsibility of the property owner.

For mobile homes as with other properties, insurers will examine the risks on a case-by-case basis, and will use their best efforts to continue to provide cover. The Association of British Insurers believes that nearly all homes are insurable to a degree, provided appropriate action is taken to protect the property, eg by raising homes above flood level.