§ Lord Morris of Manchester
asked Her Majesty's Government:
How many disabled people now receive the mobility allowance; what was the total spending on the allowance, at constant prices in each of the past 10 years; and what is their estimate for the current year. [HL1549]
§ Baroness Hollis of Heigham
(1) The number of recipients of the mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA) is currently estimated at 2.191,000.
(2) Expenditure in real terms on the mobility component of DLA over the past 10 years together with the current year forecast is estimated as follows:
DLA mobility component expenditure 2003–04 prices (£ millions) Year 1993–94 2,170 1994–95 2,340 1995–96 2,690 1996–97 2980 1997–98 3,130 1998–99 3,240 1999–2000 3,340 2000–01 3,450 2001–02 3,610 2002–03 3,730 2003–04 3,820
(1) Information on number of recipients comes from the Quarterly Statistical Enquiry (QSE) August 2003 5 per cent sample (SourceIAD Information Centre).
(2) The expenditure figures are consistent with those in the benefit expenditure tables published at PBR 2003 and are converted to real terms using the GDP deflator (SourceIAD Benefit Forecasting and Model Development Division and QSE samples, February 1993 to August 2003).
(1) QSE sample data were used in the production of the DLA mobility component expenditure figures. Therefore, as in all cases where sample data are used, these figures are subject to sampling variation.
(2) The figures are rounded to the nearest £10 million.